Fine Art in encaustic and mixed media
Fine Art in encaustic and mixed media
These last 44 years I have created art in the unusual medium of tattooing. It is a skill with which a high degree of professionalism is required to fulfill a client’s wishes to create a commissioned piece of artwork to be permanently emblazoned on the body; it is a particularly different and sometimes difficult canvas. Through the years, I worked in various illustrative mediums like pen and ink, watercolor, gouache, color pencil, acrylic and graphite as methods of creating the work to be reproduced as a tattoo.
I attended William Paterson College, And Rutgers University, both in NJ, attempting to work toward my BFA. Due to unfortunate circumstances, I was never able to complete my studies and earn a degree. At Rutgers-Newark, I studied ceramics with Camille Billops. Through the years, I continued my education in the arts by taking specialized classes. At the Woodstock School of Art, Woodstock, NY, I studied landscape painting with Robert Angeloch. My focus was in oils. At Dodge Glass Studio, Hopewell Junction, NY, I studied various glass techniques with Gary Dodge.
In 2011, I took an afternoon encaustic workshop at RF Paints in Kingston, NY. Instantly, I became enamored by the prospect of a new medium which lends itself to the alla prima approach in a way no other medium has. During the Covid pandemic, I had no excuses but to get to work. The bulk of my work is current. And still in discovery.
As a working artist, whether the medium is tattoo, oils, encaustics or digital paint, I know that being able to share one's creations with a larger audience is important not only to the artist but to the community in which it was created.
"Path Of The Gods"
encaustic and ink
Shows and Exhibitions:
• Art of a Tattoo Artist Solo Show, Greater Paterson Arts Council, Paterson, NJ (1983)
• Group Show, Washington Street Gallery, Paterson, NJ (September, October 1990)
• Tattoo The Earth Tour, Rosemont, IL, Oakland, CA, Worcester, MA (2002)
• Ladies, Ladies Art Show, Brooklyn NY (2012 through 2018).
• Women Artists Who Drum, TRANSnDANCEnDRUM Center, Rosendale, NY (September 2015).
• New Directions '14, national juried show, Barrett Art Center, Poughkeepsie, NY (2014)
• DCAA/BAC Members's Exhibit (December 2013, 2014)
• 100 for 100 DCAA/BAC Fundraiser, at Locust Grove, artwork donator (February 2014-2016)
• Mostly Local Landscapes, Cunneen-Hackett, Poughkeepsie, NY (December 2015)
• Women Artists In The Digital Age, TRANSnDANCEnDRUM Center, Rosendale, NY (March 2016).
• Nahuitlampa, La Casa de Cultura, Coyoacan, Mexico (2018)
• Hope And Ambition, Arts Mid-Hudson, Poughkeepsie NY (December 2020)
• Encaustic Today, Encaustic Gallery, online Russian exhibition and competition (2020)
• Friends of Womenswork.Art, Poughkeepsie, NY (March 2021)
• Small Works Members’ Show, Woodstock Artists Association, Woodstock, NY (June 2021)
• Gratitude, Woodstock Artists Association, Woodstock, NY (Nov-Dec 2021)
• Small Works Winter Juried Exhibition, Woodstock Artists Association, Woodstock, NY (Jan-March 2022 )
• Best In Show: Artists’ Personal Favorite From 2021, Emerge Gallery, Saugerties NY (Jan-March 2022)
• Something Blue, Emerge Gallery, Saugerties NY (March-April 2022)
• The Changing Climate: Coming To Terms And Finding Hope, ASK Art Society of Kingston NY (April 2022)
• Locally Sourced: Hudson Valley Landscape Art, Emerge Gallery, Saugerties NY (April-May 2022)
• In The Pink Members’ Show, ASK Art Society of Kingston NY (May 2022)
• FLOW: National Juried Encaustic/Wax Exhibition, Encaustic Art Institute, Cerrillos NM (June-July 2022)
• Inspired By George Inness, Studio Montclair and Montclair Art Museum, (Sept 2022)
• 6th Annual Global Warming Is Real exhibition, Encaustic Art Institute held at the Museum of Encaustic Art, Cerrillos, NM (Sept-Oct 2022)
• Best In Show 2022, Emerge Gallery, Saugerties NY (November 2022 - January 2023)
• Small Works O-Z 2022, Woodstock Artists Association, Woodstock NY (November-December 2022)
• Local Fare Holiday Show, The Krafted Cup, Poughkeepsie, NY (November 2022 - January 2023)
• RiverWinds Gallery Production Pawling Show, Live 4 Art Gallery, Pawling, NY (April 2023)
• Encaustic: Painting With Fire/Essence of Mulranny Online Encaustic Immersive, various instructors (2023-current)(2022-2023)(2021-2022)
• Glass techniques: Stained glass, fusing, torchwork with Gary Dodge, Dodge Studio, Hopewell Junction, NY
• Landscape painting with Robert Angeloch; Woodstock School of Art, 1981
• Ceramic studies with Camille Billops, Rutgers-Newark, 1980
• Alliance of Professional Tattooists, Inc.
(founding member; lifetime member; current president)
• Arts Mid-Hudson
• Encaustic Art Institute
• International Encaustic Artists
• Woodstock Artists Association & Museum (WAAM)
• Studio Montclair
• Former Officer and Board Member of Barrett Art Center, Poughkeepsie, NY (now defunct)